Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Creative Space


This week we are on school holidays. In between keeping kids busy/entertained I have been working on stock for my first market which is now only a month away!

As I say those words out loud I feel the panic in the pit of my stomach. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? I also have a list of Christmas gifts and items that I need to make for family and friends! I just need to stay focused and disciplined, right? Right:)

As I am not a one-at-a-time-project kinda person, I have been working on a variety of projects, including bunting, felt food, Christmas decorations, fabric headbands and cards! One of the projects I have enjoyed the most though, is making bias tape.

The last time I made bias tape was about 25 years ago (for a Laura Ashley pattern dress I made for a family wedding - am I dating myself?:) I don't know why it's been so long, because it was really easy and very satisfying as a project. I used the needle in the ironing board method, which is a little bit fiddly, but it worked surprisingly well. The best thing about it was how the bias tape felt - so much better than the stuff you buy! I made it to use on some Christmas buntings I have been making for the market. Not sure I ever want to buy bias tape again:)

I hope you have been getting lots done in your space this week. For more lovely spaces make sure you visit here. Cyndy Pin It

12 comments:

tartankiwi said...

Good luck at the market! I love your bright red bias tape, so much fun. I think I'm going to have to have a go at making some one of these days...

Max said...

I agree, love your tape and definatly want to have a go myself one of these days... x

TheAccidentalCrafter said...

I love handmade bias tape but sometimes when I'm a bit lazy I do use the bought stuff. Your bias tape looks fab, looks like it'll go great with your christmas buntings.

yardage girl said...

I love making bias tapes (and bunting for that matter!) - I use a little Clover gadget from Spotlight - comes in a variety of widths depending on how wide you want your binding - super fast and easy. I will have to google your method. Best wishes for the market

Angel.Pearls said...

Good luck with projects! The tape is so pretty!
Eva

Leonie said...

I love your bias tape too! its my favourite - red and white polka dots
I bought one of those bias maker things and cannot make it work...so Im going to give this method a try...dreaming of lots of yummy bias!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Love your red dotty bias tape, delicious!
Well done to you, making it from scratch - I have some of the little gadgets that help you make it. The 1" one is perfect for bunting.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

I forgot to say, good luck with your first market, very exciting!

Jill said...

Sounds like you've got lots on the go at the moment! I found you through our creative spaces and was wondering if you'd be interested in being featured on my weekly worldwide creative hop. Every week a few of us bloggers link up worldwide to promote crafters in our own continent. I'm the Australasian host and would love to feature you! I think you really showcase Aussieness!!

Please let me know if you'd be interested and I'm email you the details!

jillinamillion@y7mail.com

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Yours looks SO much better than store bought. I have a Clover bias tape maker, but haven't used it yet. If I can make tape like yours, I'll be very happy.

Teek said...

That bias tape is fantastic. Love the dots and colour. Congrats on your first market. Hope is goes well
Tanya

Bron said...

Hey good luck with the market ...it really is a lot of work to get ready but they can be really fun too. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...