Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I am a butterfly

 
(photograph via here, text added by me)

Life changes; sometimes it’s expected, sometimes it’s a surprise. Six years ago I left my career, my family and friends and moved overseas with my husband and children (expected). I then found myself pregnant with child number three (surprise!). I had planned to look for work after we had settled, but instead I was ready to go on maternity leave, so a stay at home mum I became.

For those who knew me in my previous life this probably seemed totally out of character, and honestly I never imagined that role for myself either. I had worked hard to build a career, a reputation in my chosen field, and came late to the child raising game (oldest was born when I was 35). I never considered the idea of not working, I wanted it all.
But with all the life changes 6 years ago, I did what I never thought I would do and became a stay at home mum.  For the last 6 years, I have been there for every moment of littlest's growth and development and I have thrown myself into my older children life, being there for every expo, school excursion, sporting event, and after school activity. I became that ever slightly annoying parent who did everything at her children's school, taking on volunteer leadership roles (school council and parent's association), coordinating fundraising activities and helping out in the classroom and around the school.
During these 6 years I also rediscovered my love of craft and handmade. It became my new creative outlet and a way for me to explore my fascination with my new home, Australia. Again, probably a surprise for those who knew me in my previous life. I started to blog, I started an online shop or two, became a twitterer, facebooker and instagrammer. Discovered, in fact, a whole new community of people and in many ways friends to share and interact with about my everyday life.
And so I settled into a routine, a day to day life that I was comfortable with. But 6 years on life changes again. In January littlest started prep, so all three children are now at school full time (expected). And I have gotten a job (surprise!). I had always said when littlest started school I would go back to work, but I did imagine a slightly longer transition. For what every reason, that’s not what happened. Last week I went back to the paid workforce, three weeks from seeing the job advertised to actually getting it. And it was a total fluke that I even saw the position advertised. I never look in the job ads, but that day I did and there it was, the perfect transition job for me in my former field of work.
And really I couldn’t ask for anything more, I am working 4 days a week, school hours. I am getting to bring my almost 20 years of experience from overseas to where I live now, and a chance to learn so much more about my field of work and community here. It’s all so perfect that I am a little bit suspicious:)
I am a bit sad about not being able to spend as much time on the children’s school, but I will still try and do what I can (I do have one day a week off:).  I am also not sure what impact working will have on my creative outlet. I am hoping that having more to do will only make me more productive - I guess only time will tell:)

Cyndy (the butterfly)
Pin It

1 comment:

Claire said...

Congrats on the job Cyndy, I hope it all goes really well for you and it was interesting reading a bit about your background too.

Claire :}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...