Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

My Place and Yours - Christmas Special


This is a hard one for me. As someone who grew up in the northern hemisphere (the United States) Christmas is about cold, snow, a fire in the fireplace, hot chocolate and tacky Christmas lights all over your house. Hot, sunny and going to the beach just doesn't seem right:)


That said I have (kinda) adjusted and besides Christmas in our house is all about the children. No designer colours or decorations, just lots of stuff made by the kids, picked out by the kids, given to the kids, was mine when I was a kid:)


This year we actually have two Christmas trees. One is fake (got it for $12 the first Christmas we spent here) and one is real. This is our first real tree because I am a bit of a Christmas tree snob. It's not that I like perfectly manicured Christmas trees, because I don't. In our house, we used to go out to the Christmas tree farm and cut our own. It was usually wider than it was tall:) It's more that I like a certain kind of Christmas tree (Douglass fir) and it appears they don't grow them here in Australia or if they do they cost a bazillion dollars. But this one was free, just the right price for me to overcome my snobbishness:)


Christmas is also about memories. I love it when we are decorating the tree and the children shout out, that ones mine, or I got that from ____, or ask me about a decoration that predates them. When I was in my mid 30's my mother decided (without telling us children) to move to a themed tree. That meant all the decorations we had made as children, had been given etc... that didn't meet the theme were tossed. My sister and I about had a heart attack, because even at our "mature" age we still loved the memories that all these things represented.


And finally Christmas is about traditions. It's about putting up the tree the weekend after Thanksgiving (yes even here:), making Christmas cookies, writing a  letter and visiting Santa, watching Its a Wonderful Life at least once, and getting up at the crack of dawn on Christmas day to open your presents from Santa no matter how old you are:)

Merry Christmas from my family to yours and you can check out more Christmas specials here! Cyndy Pin It

3 comments:

Max said...

I'm with you on the 'used to christmas cold' front, I rejoiced the otherday when it was cold and gloomy and I had to light the fire! and you can't beat a real tree-we have one in a pot we drag in every year. Merry Christmas x

Vic said...

It must be hard to adjust to Christmas in an entirely different season - I would not be able to do it, not "for good", although I'd like to experience one real "white christmas"!

Merry Christmas!

Jackie said...

It would be a huge adjustment going from a wintry Christmas to a summer one but I guess it really is about family and not the weather. Love your tree decorations, brings back memories of when my children were little and made lots of decorations at home, school and kindergarten. There are still some that are brought out every year.
Merry Christmas!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...